Having studies the French New wave, I was influenced to make my own new wave. Having looked at Jean-Luc Godard and Francois Truffauts work, particular Breathless, A Woman is a Woman and The 400 Blows. I wanted to use the technical conventions that they have used, looking at the jump cut, hand held camera, natural lighting and long takes. I also wanted to add in the camera and lighting techniques that I have learnt. For example using different shots, like a pan across.
When filming for my new wave film, I hoped to contrast between Digbeth, particle the custard factory and that area around to business area of Birmingham and be able to in the editing stage to create jumps cuts between the both. However when I was filming I found that I didn't have enough time to go to both and decided to just film Digbeth and get my filming do there, this meant that I wasn't rushing. I felt that this meant I could spend more timing filming in Digbeth and making sure that everything was ok that I was filming. I enjoyed filming in Digbeth I found that I could film different things and that it would all fit together well, whilst sticking to an non-linera narrative.
Having looked back at my footage I am happy with it, and how it all looks together. I like using hand held and being able to see camera shake, I feel that it works well with the concept and also linked with my contextual research. While filming i did film parts of the christmas market but I found that this did't work as well as I wanted, and didn't work well with my other clips. Neither thought I wanted to used a non-linear narrative, I found this was random to add it into my video and didn't work with my footage. One of my clips is overexposure and I like this because I feel that it is different to my other clips and i feel that it works well and stands out. Also I thought that it would work well with the idea of the new wave, and filming things that 'strictly don't stand'.
I like how Jean-Luc Godard used jumped cuts within his film Breathless, I wanted to add this to into my video in the editing stage. I wanted my jumps cuts to be subtle but as well for it to be noticeable.
Having watched The 400 Blows, I found that they used long takes, I was particular influenced in the final scene of the film especially when he was running away from a teacher. I like the tracking shot and following him running in one shot and the use of hand held camera. I wanted to add this into my video, using one shot whilst following someone. I did this when following Frankie around the shop Cow. I like the long shot, and I feel when the you watch the film it feels like you are following Frankie. Which I feel fits in well with the idea of documentary, and following someone apart. Jean-Luc Godard's, Breathless film was said to be documentary like. I feel that this clips fit my work well with the research that I did.
I wanted to add music to the background of the film and just have non-diegetic sound, to start with I didn't know what sort of music to have and what music would go with my new wave. I looked at having instrumental acoustic music, I found passenger let it go, which I thought would go well. When watching back I found that it didn't go well because the beat was changing in the chorus and the beat was more dramatic. If I wanted to use more dramatic and noticeable jumps cuts, this could have worked well with more dramatic music. This didn't work with how I wanted to edited to my video you expected something to happen and it wasn't. I struggled to find acoustic music to go with my video, as I only wanted the music to have a few beats. Having looked, I finally found photography by Ed Sheeran and a acoustic instrumental. I found that this worked a lot better and worked with my film.
Having finished my new wave I have thought of ways that I could improve it if I had the change to go back and re-edit it. I would add diegetic sound is post production, linking back to my research of The French new wave. Particular in Godard's film Breathless they add the sound in post production and I think it could be a good way to link them together. For example I could get sound of a train going past, and noise of cars, to fit in with my footage. I also feel that this would work well, using both non-deigetic and diegetic sound. Also I change the ending of video, having a more of an ending, instead of just having the videoed stopped. This might be having someone looking at the camera. for example after the tracking shoot in Cow, I could have had Frankie look into the camera. This would link in with my research in The 400 Blows. Also I could have finished the video outside of the shop and maybe had a bus or something going pass and filming it on a side shoot. When looking back as my footage I had found that I had use a lot of pan up and downs, I felt that this did work well, but it would have been better if I used different camera shots. This would have shown more skills that I have learnt and might have worked better. Another way that I could improve my work is by using a different lens, this would give me different shots. For example if I used a 50mm lens, when film in the shop, I could have used a lower aperture which would contrast between the high aperture outside.
Overall I'm happy with how my final new wave went and happy with how it all worked together. I feel that it works well and I enjoyed filming and editing it. I enjoyed being able to researching The French New Wave and being able to link it to mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment