Research Evaluation
For my Music Video Production unit, before
filming began, I knew that I needed to undertake substantial and effective
research. This would give me a better understanding of the codes and
conventions that I needed to utilise for my chosen genre to produce my music
video. I started by researching Andrew Goodwin and Carol Vernallis, who provided
well established music video theories, looking at how the videos are positioned,
filmed and edited for defined audiences. I took notes, during my teacher led
seminars for selected background information and approaches to employing music
theory; this gave me a general overview to base my research upon. From this
primary research information I built an idea of how to conduct my secondary
research. Using Andrew Goodwin’s ‘Dancing
in the Distraction Factory’ and Carol Vernallis ‘The Kindest Cut’ allowed me to assess the usefulness of analysing
existing music videos for technical codes and conventions and also narrative
techniques.
Having looked at the theories my next method of
research was analysing music videos, this was important as it provided me with
ideas of how to understand what codes and conventions of different genres of
music require.
Some Codes and Conventions for Pop genre are;
- Artist in mainstream outfits.
- Often relates to teenagers, who are the main target audience.
- Close up to show the artist, star image. This also helps with advertising.
Some Codes and Conventions for Pop genre are;
- Artist in mainstream outfits.
- Often relates to teenagers, who are the main target audience.
- Close up to show the artist, star image. This also helps with advertising.
Questionnaire
To get a better understanding of what other
people would like to see in a mainstream pop music video, I created a
questionnaire on survey money. I sent
the survey out to as many people as I could, to gather as much information as
possible before I started to compose ideas for my own production. This research
method is quantitative and relies on facts and figures. It provides statistical
data that would help target specific genre related audience appeal and
production techniques to make my production successful. Overall my
questionnaire reached 45 participants, not as many as I had hoped for.
Nevertheless, this was sufficient enough to justify the techniques I intended
to include in my own mainstream production.
This research method mainly offers data reliant results;
some of my questions did allow for quantitative results though, where someone
could go into more depth and what they actually thought about mainstream pop music
videos and their production techniques. These were the most effective type of
questioning that I employed. The purpose of the questionnaire was to see what
others thought about these types of music videos and what they would want to
see in a similar music video production. Examples of questions that were
effective included; ‘What do you expect
to see in a music video?’ and ‘What
type of music video do you prefer?’ I hoped from the questionnaire that I
would get a lot more information and this as it would help with developing
further ideas and inspiration. However, this didn’t happen because not all of
the answers that I got provided that much detail, and some of the replies where
far too short and brief. This could have been because some of the answers were
multiple choice; this might have affected the results and made the
questionnaire not as reliable as I had intended. Providing more choices rather
than limiting the responses might have affected the answers, it therefore would
have been better to allow them to give their own opinions to strengthen the
results.
Focus Group
The focus group gave quantitative research results
from a primary source; this was done within the HNC class of 12 participants. This
was helpful because it provided valuable and reliable inspiration and ideas from
a focus group who would be producing similar productions. The also had
knowledge that I could rely upon and that would not be biased towards one genre
or another. By conducting this qualitative research, I knew that I could get
results that would validate my initial research and enabled me to make the
correct choices when it came to selecting techniques for my own production.
From my other research methods, I had some ideas
of what my music video could be. As a class though we went through everyone’s
ideas and we were able to expand these to develop productions that would target
our target audiences with more purpose. We went through the ideas in more
depth, we conducted the focus group to get qualitative data from a primary
source. This face-to-face communication was highly effective and I would argue
that it was the most beneficial approach I used.
The focus group was very helpful as I had a more
structured idea of how to produce a mainstream video and was able to develop my
production with a far better knowledge. When I presented my idea, I asked for
feedback and suggestions about what else I could add into the video. I found
that this was helpful because it meant that I could come up with some different
and more innovative ideas.
Conclusion
Due to the production of the music video, I needed
more quantitative research, however when doing the questionnaire, it gave me far
too many quantitative results. This is because the responses that I received
didn’t go into depth of information that I required, which couldn’t help with
ideas and inspiration. I found the focus group to be most effective method as
the ideas were in more detail and I got far more from qualitative results. Writing
better targeted questions with a ‘follow up’ suggestion option would have been
a better method.
The theories that I researched, Goodwin and
Vernallis, were extremely beneficial as it gave me a very sound framework to
use for my production. This was valid and justified my mainstream production
techniques.
My analysis of existing videos was useful, but I
could have gone into more depth in regard to the specific technical codes and
conventions of my chosen mainstream pop genre. My posts on similar genre
related videos lacked depth and discussion. Identifying key camera, lighting
and editing techniques would have added to my research overall. I tended to
take too much for granted, rather than break the production down to the more
technical aspects of production such as cinematography, performance and editing.
Improvements
that I would recommend for further research:
- · Record the audio of the focus group to allow myself to recall the results that I received. This would give me far better information to base my production upon.
- · Create a questionnaire with text boxes, where they can go into more detail. This would allow for more depth in the responses and also give more qualitative results as well as quantitative.
- · More detailed analysis of the codes and conventions of music videos and looking at different artists and genre. This may have given me more knowledge of existing videos that I wasn’t aware existed.
- · A more detailed analysis would have also helped me to construct a better narrative for my finished production. Visually the piece works well and is produced to a good standard, however producing something with more narrative would make it more appealing to my target audience. Mainstream pop audiences tend to appreciate a story that they can relate to with the interpretation of the lyrics. This is something that I concentrated upon in my analysis of existing music videos.
No comments:
Post a Comment