Wednesday, 14 October 2015

Lighting

High Kew Lighting- High lighting is where is a low contrast because there is a high amount of light. For example this could be using natural lighting, which won't create many shadows.

635A7131 from Jessica Barratt on Vimeo.

I wasn't to sure how to show high key lighting, so i thought having natural lighting would work well because it would create a low contrast. I feel that that its

Low Key Lighting- Low key lighting is where there isn't a strong a light source. This can be good for creating a moody feel within the frame. 'Low-key lighting makes the most of dark tones and shadows to create images with drama and atmosphere.'[1]

635A7114 from Jessica Barratt on Vimeo.

Here i had the light coming form the window and the light coming form the phone, I feel that this didn't work well and I need to think of a better setup. This would have worked better if i only have the single light source and I had a beth standing somewhere else. I feel that because I had the phone in the frame, it didn't create the best lighting and I wanted the lighting to be darker. I feel that it I just used the light coming from the window it would have worked a lot better.

Studio Lighting- I went into the studio to try different lighting and have different set ups of lighting. I tried rembrandt, butterfly and edge (split) lighting

Rembrant- Rembrandt is creating shadow of a triangle under the eye. This is created by having the light at a 45 degree angle and having the subject, slightly turning there head after from the light. A setup of the light is below.







635A7075 from Jessica Barratt on Vimeo.

Here i created rembrandt lighting, having the triangle lighting under the eye. I feel that this has worked well, and i like the effective that the lighting has given. To start with we found we couldn't get the rembrandt effect and had to move the light slightly and beth slightly to get the effect. I feel that once we got the lighting in the right place, it was easier to get Beth in the right place to create the lighting.

Butterfly- Butterfly lighting is having light source above the subject to create a butterfly effect under the nose. The lighting needs to be higher then the subject to get the shadow. An example of the set up in below.




635A7084 from Jessica Barratt on Vimeo.

Here I created the butterfly effect, I feel that it has worked well and looks good. I like how the shadows is only under the nose and contrasting with the rest. Which draws your eyes in.

Split lighting- Split lighting, is having the light on one side of the subject, this creates shadows on one side of the face and light on the other side. An example of split lighting is below.






635A7068 from Jessica Barratt on Vimeo.

Here I created a edge lighting by having the light to the side of Beth. This frame needs a fill light added in to make it less dark and for it too look less yellow. I liked using the split image, I feel that it creates a mood to the video. I will be using this lighting setup in upcoming work when I want to create a mood and atmosphere.

Creating shadows in an experimental set up- Here I went into a dark cupboard to be able to create shadows, I found that I could create these by using the LED light on the phone. I used the LED light and turned the light around to light up their faces, this then also lighted up the background which created the shadows.

MVI_9868 from Jessica Barratt on Vimeo.

I wasn't to sure how to create shadows or how to experiment with shadows, I felt that this was a good way to do this. I like just the dark cupboard to create these effect.


[1] http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2014/03/28/low-key-lighting-how-to-shut-out-ambient-light-and-plunge-into-shadows/

No comments:

Post a Comment